Darkly colored berries are a rich source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. They also contain bioflavinoid components that work with vitamin C to strengthen blood vessels and connective tissue. Frozen berries are almost as healthy as fresh ones, so indulge all year long!
These protein rich pancakes use sprouted quinoa as the batter base. They have a wonderful spongy texture and a rich nutty flavor.
- 1 cup of quinoa soaked for 8 hours or overnight
- ½ cup of water
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of oil (melted coconut oil or butter is best)
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of arrowroot starch, carob powder, or rice flour sifted together with ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ cup of blueberries (thaw and drain if using frozen berries) or try blackberries
Rinse the quinoa in a mesh strainer and allow it to drain for ~5 minutes. Place the quinoa, water, salt, oil and vinegar in a blender. Start on a low setting and increase the speed to high, processing it until the mixture is smooth. Pour the batter into a bowl and add the flour and baking soda. Quickly mix the wet and dry ingredients until there are no lumps. Over medium heat melt some butter or coconut oil in heavy bottom skillet (well seasoned cast iron is best). Pour the batter onto the hot skillet using a ladle or measuring cup. Generously decorate the tops of the pancakes with blueberries. As soon as bubbles form on the edges of the pancakes flip them over and cook them on the opposite side for 3-4 minutes. Remove them from the pan and serve immediately.
Raspberry Ice Cream or Popsicles
This simple recipe is low in carbohydrates and high in nutrition.
- 1 can of organic coconut milk
- 2 cups of organic frozen raspberries, or other fruit
- 2 tablespoons of honey or 10 drops of white stevia liquid
- pinch of salt
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and process them until the raspberries are pureed. Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker or Popsicle molds. Enjoy!